Saturday, February 24, 2007

Review: A lost art; Romance in the age of irony



      We have failed them all. We have sold the hopeless romantics down the river. We have taken the fragile, tender blessing that those blissful souls once bestowed upon us and we have crushed it like a rose petal beneath an Ugg boot.



      Don't pretend you don't know what we mean.



      Love in the 21st Century is a joke. It's a scam. It's a punch line in a sitcom. It's an e-mail with a lame smiley face in place of an original phrase. It's a hasty text message (LUV U) with a hieroglyph where your heart ought to be.




This review probably belongs over on my colleague's blog VagrantMemories.   I concur with the above quote and will go you one further; a large part of the target purchasing demographic is influences by the 'hip-hop nation', and that fact has some interesting overtones.


In the hip-hop nation, thugs dominate the social landscape, women are objectified to an extreme just short of sex-slave and to quote Notorius B.I.G. "You're nobody 'till somebody kills you."  I find the contrast of a rose petal being crushed under an Ugg a particularly telling.  Women wear Uggs more than men do, get where I am going with this?


Let us throw in the technology aspect.  I remember way back in the ancient days when there was no graphic element to the internet, the spelling and typing skills of people were not up to real-time communication, necessitating some creative shorthand.  Those who for their own reasons, did not learn to spell or type have contributed their little part.


I found the above article sad and telling.  I agree with the author JKeller, we want mad love and do not know how to get it.  Guess I'll stay single a little longer...